Friday 15 February 2008

A Lovely Valentines Day...

Being a confirmed bachelorette, St Valentine’s Day doesn't mean an awful lot to me. Most years I don’t even notice it happening and couldn’t care less. However, this year, in this city, I discovered it is a day to avoid. It is a day to avoid getting caught by red, heart-shaped decorations hung diabolically and designed to entangle you. A day to avoid getting scratched by bunches of red roses applied with deadly force by men who don’t know how to carry such unwieldy objects. A day to try to avoid being sick when you see the 50th couple in a row snogging their brains out with tongues so far down each other’s throats I’m sure their stomach contents were re-eaten.

It actually made me feel sick.

Anyway, to avoid the unavoidable, Jane and I went and saw a movie. We saw Juno. And it was fabulous. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to anyone. It was cleaver and funny, the story was intriguing, the character development was real, the action flowed from who the characters were, and it presented a take on teen pregnancy which I found earthy and entirely plausible. It is a lovely feel-good movie, but it is also intelligent and not at all soppy. I walked out feeling really good.

And then I went out for a night cap in Earl's court. I'd never been to Earl's court before – It’s known as kangaroo court so I've avoided it like the plague because I don’t want to be a typical Aussie in this city – but Rod K, father of Nick K, was in town for one night, and so it was worth an investigation just to catch up with the GS icon. We went to a lovely little café. The food was gorgeous (I had an apple crumble that was to die for), the hot chocolate perfect, and the company excellent. As ebullient as ever and always really good company, the K's are the perfect anodyne to anyone’s bad day and I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with them. I came home feeling really good about life and pretty happy with the world in general.

It was absolutely lovely. So Valentines Day wasn’t such a bad day after all!

No comments: