Thursday 20 December 2007

An Invitation to the Ball

As a 'long term' contractor, I got an invitation to the official work 'do' which was held last night. It was at the Science Museum, and had the theme of 'Black and White'... which basically meant that all the decorations were either black or white and it was black tie so the guys had to dress in tuxes! My department head was even nice enough to spring for a limo for us all, so we got to go in style.

Whilst it was lovely, and seeing all of my work compatriots dressed in their best was really cool, and I always love getting up in costume and pretending to be something I'm not, it was a distinct disappointment.

The food was lovely, the decorations were nice, the alcohol was plentiful, and the company good... but we were housed in an empty exhibition space, so could have been anywhere in the world and you wouldn't know the difference. I was expecting to be in amidst the exhibits I suppose, so that was disappointing. And the raffle didn't hold a candle to the one's I've had with the guys in Canberra... it was pitiful really.

I guess I just didn't drink enough to enjoy it as some of the others did. I'm not really ready to make a fool of myself with these people yet - although they are all lovely - which meant that I was watching other people make fools of themselves and felt it was all a little silly.

A good time was had by all though, so no real complaints, just ... something was missing.

No comments: