Sunday 2 September 2007

Life with the ants

I spent a rather leisurely Saturday but did actually manage to get out on Sunday. The photos should be up by the time I post this!

I met Helen R at Victoria Station and caught up with her over a coffee - so lovely to see someone from Australia! Then I decided I was going to walk home... it's quite a way. But a mark of my increased level of fitness that I didn't really notice it until I got home.

En route I checked out the Royal Horse Guards, where there were some lovely horses standing guard, some English architecture (Westminster Abbey was closed as it was Sunday, so I took pictures of Albert's Arch and street signs - don't ask me why), Lillywhites department store (which I keep calling Lillyputs in my head and where I managed to pick up two pairs of sneakers for more than 85% off!), and the billboards and the Eros Statue in Piccadilly Circus (the juxtaposition of which always makes me scratch my head).

Then I walked up Regent's street which had been closed off to traffic for a street party. It was an Indian Tourism event and there were all sorts of cultural activities you could do - like eat 5 different kinds of curry, or take pictures in front of Indian landscapes or listen to Indian music - none of which I did. I watched the street performers instead - and they were good!!

It was incredibly strange though - walking up a London street with not a car in sight. I felt dwarfed somehow and very displaced, scurrying amongst a million other people in such an empty space. It was weird. Very interesting, but definitely strange.

No comments: