Thursday 5 June 2008

A Country Life...

I love working in the country. I loved it the last time I was working in Bendigo, and I am loving it now. The people are so genuine, so welcoming. They're hard working and tough but open-hearted too. I feel like I belong here after only a week, and that's all because of the people.

It makes the decision to leave harder, and I keep thinking 'well, maybe I need to revise going back to the UK'. I haven't heard a thing about my visa application, and the smog and desultory weather are looking more objectionable every day, especially from where I am here in the clean outdoors.

Of course, there are very, very, very few jobs here. I was damn lucky to get this one. But I've been only applying for short-term and there have been a couple of longer-term positions that I could have gone for, and one that I did go for and didn't get because they wanted someone for more than 6 months.

I guess I should just enjoy what I've got whilst I've got it. And that is an absolutely wonderful bunch of easy-going and friendly work-mates. I'll miss this place when I go, that's for sure.

No comments: