Wednesday 28 May 2008

Driving; a lonely business.

I hadn't driven for over a year when I got home, but once the terror that my old clunker would fall to bits on me had subsided (quite a rational fear - it hadn't moved for the entire time I was away so had every excuse for doing strange things, refusing to work and smelling badly), I managed to tool around Bendigo quite easily and without even really thinking about it.

Today I drove to my first day at work, and suddenly it felt really strange to be driving. To be going to work and not to have anyone else around, no grumpy bus driver, no school kids shrieking, no smelly tramps, no loud phone conversations, no arguments in strange and exotic languages... it was a silent, calm and even tranquil event... and it felt really, really weird.

I mean, I was concentrating extra hard because I am no longer used to getting up early, nor to thinking all day long, so I knew I wasn't at my full capacity driving-wise, but I had to laugh at myself coming home. I felt like I was in a ghost town (at rush hour mind you!). It was eerie.

Very odd.

No comments: