Tuesday 10 June 2008

A shift in perception...

Strange how your views change to suit the climate you exist in. Not just political and social but environmental too.

When in London, the site of clouds was a reason for glum forbearance, and rain mild annoyance. Here, clouds are an incitement to hope and, should it actually rain, joy. Ali was all but dancing yesterday when the clouds opened and we could actually hear it on the roof. Her plants should grow now. So although there is no sun today, I'm happy because it's wet outside!

And I've always been a person who tries to recycle. Not always successfully and not always mindfully. But in the UK, my zeal lapsed markedly with the absence of state enforced recycling. Oh we did have a recycling box from the council and I did still put aside large cardboard and glass items, but my green waste and my plastics recycling was almost non-existent. Here... well, for example, at work they have three rubbish bins in every kitchen and at strategic positions in most corridors, one for recycling, one for compost and one for landfill. It really makes you think about what you're throwing away when the rubbish bin is marked 'Landfill'. And Ali of course has always recycled. We have two bins, and although we don't often recycle compost, all other recyclables get a new life.

So I have become much more 'green' lately. I've even been considering taking a sea journey in favour of the ever increasing cost - and carbon emitting burden - of air travel. I will most certainly be looking into doing the carbon offset thing next time I fly. We who have the wherewithal to be environmentally conscientious should do so to our utmost. It's a positive step that we need to take, and now, not later. Later will be too late.

No comments: