Thursday 24 January 2008

Recognition of Double Standards

I realise that I have a double standard when it comes to this issue.

I readily and often call the people in my circle of friends either M’dear, Darling or Dearest. Dearest I tend to reserve for those I really love dearly, Darling for more teasing, sardonic or satirical situations, and M’dear for a catch-all phrase but only when addressing friends. And I do it without thinking about it.

But I have recently come to a realisation that may require me to re-think my automatic pet-name-application.

I hate, hate, HATE it when people call me 'hun' or 'love'. Yuck! yuck yuck yuck!

Specifically, I hate it when males that I know call me either of those names. I have no objection what-so-ever when a female calls me either; in fact I find it endearing. Nor do I really mind it much when a complete stranger calls me it, although it does annoy me and I lose a certain amount of respect for that individual. But when a male I know does it, it really sets my back up way high. I find it patronising and utterly demeaning. And I’m not really sure why. (Yes, I acknowledge, there is a double standard here. I said so at the beginning!)

Anyway, my automatic reaction to this situation has caused me to call into question my own use of such diminutives, as they may annoy someone I know as much as being called ‘hun’ annoys me.

So in the interests of self-education I’d like to take a pole. If it annoys anyone whom I know, or in fact anyone out there who reads this blog, to be addressed by any one of Dearest, Darling or M’dear, can you please either email or comment on this blog and let me know? Equally, if you find it endearing, or harmless, please also let me know.

If it does annoy people, I shall cease and desist this type of name calling immediately. Because I can tell you right now, the next bloke who calls me ‘hun’ or ‘love’ is going to get his head bitten off!

2 comments:

Jason B. Standing said...

I seem to recall your absolute lack of enthusiasm for "lovechunks", as well :)

Brads said...

Well I suppose I'm just going to have to call you kitten instead.