Friday 23 November 2007

You Muppet!

Around my office I hear the word ‘Muppet’ used a lot as a swear word. It is generally employed as a substitute for the word ‘idiot’ as a less offensive way to describe a stupid person. ‘You Muppet!’, or ‘What a complete Muppet!’

Now, at first, I was slightly affronted by this. I admire the Muppets; it was one of my favourite programs as a kid, and love watching any Jim Henson production. Over time however, I have been converted, and it has become an essential part of my vocabulary. I find it a good word to use to describe stupidity without actually being offensive and it interjects an element of humour into what is generally an annoyed or frustrated exclamation. It is also satisfying to emphasise such a silly word.

I still admire the Muppets but, truth be told, they were intended for giggles, and it always makes me smile when I say ‘You Muppet!’. So, If you have to swear (and occasionally, that’s all you really can do), why not swear with humour?

Why don’t you try it? You Complete Muppet! You Absolute Muppet! It’s actually quite fun.

No comments: