Tuesday 6 November 2007

Mary Poppins the Musical

Saw Mary Poppins the musical at the Prince Edward Theatre last night. It was lovely. I was perhaps a little too close to the stage (I was only four rows from the front) but it was fun and an enjoyable evening out. The set design was amazing, it all fitted together rather like Lego and flew in and out with precision. The costumes were lovely, and the singers were great – especially Mary. It’s not quite as good as the Mary Poppins movie I don’t think. Julie Andrews would be a hard act to follow in any case, but I also saw the replacement cast, not the original London cast, as it has been running for quite a while and is due to close in January next year. It was still very enjoyable.

Also learned something interesting from the program; P L Travers, who wrote the books, was Australian!

I’m actually wondering if the fact that I can see so many productions, pretty much on demand, has cheapened their value in my eyes. That, because I don’t have to wait for one to come to town, and purchase the ticket and plan for the night months in advance, and have that anticipation of a special evening out to look forward to, I no longer value the show as I might once have done? I’m finding myself more of a critic here than I ever was back home, and I’m sure that the quality of the productions is as good if not better than any I saw in Australia. Interesting thought.

Mind you, although the production didn’t completely overwhelm me, I’ve had the music stuck in my head ever since. So it did actually have an impact, one that I’m hoping will go away soon! :-)

No comments: