Saturday 3 November 2007

Harry Connick Jr.... yum

Saturday night at the Royal Albert hall again,this time to see Mr. Harry Connick Jnr. A slow start with the star hardly looking at the audience, but he and we warmed up and then boy did that man swing! It was amazing. He was funny and personable and seemed to be genuinely happy to be there and humbled by the audience’s response. The more vocal we were, the more of a show he put on. And I was about 10 rows from the front, so had a really good view!

The theme for the night was My New Orleans, or Nola (New Orleans Louisiana) which is his home town apparently, so all the pieces were from there. He recorded the album as a response to hurricane Katrina and urged us all to come back and visit to help the place recover.
I recognised some of the pieces, but most of the material was new to me. It didn’t matter though, as just listening to that velvet voice, and his incredible band, was treat enough. He also had the most astounding trombone player join him - Lucian Barbarin. Wow, what a staggering talent! I’ve never heard a trombone played like that. It was mind-blowing.

All up, a very enjoyable evening. I went home humming his final tune and didn’t get it out of my head until Monday. Pretty awesome.

No comments: