Wednesday 15 August 2007

Hairspray!

I went to see the movie 'Hairspray' last night with Hilary, Rachel (cousin of Richard) and Jane. It was hilarious, but oh so cringe worthy! John Travolta as the mother made every scene he was in riotous. His hamming absolutely made the movie for me. According to Rachel he was in both the Broadway and West End live productions, so it was a role reprisal for him, and he was wonderful. Michelle Pfeiffer looked a little old as the bitchy mother / TV producer – I’m sure she was supposed to, but I’m not sure I like her in such roles. There were lots of new and young talents that I hadn’t seen before but their level of energy was impressive and the dancing and singing were all really good. I think I spent about 50/50 of my time either scooching down in my seat thinking ‘Oh no, get me OUT of here!’ or laughing so hard I gave myself a stitch... generally in the same sections of the movie.

It was fun – but there were also some real ‘You can’t be serious’ moments as well. Kinda like ‘The Producers’. Painfully Funny.

No comments: