Thursday 24 May 2007

The Wet Wedding...




On the 19th of May, 2007, Helen Burgess married Johan Krabb. So, my best friend of too many years to count, Miss Helen Burgess, is now Mrs Helen Krabb. I was lucky enough to be invited to be part of the celebrations and it was a lot of fun.

We started the day at Helen and Johan's flat - Pat, Janette and Helen went and got their hair and make-up done whilst Bronwyn and I made lunch and finished making Helen's accessories (a cape and bag). The only snag at that point was the number of pairs of stockings I had to go through before actually successfully putting a pair on - moving house does nothing for the health of your nails and no matter how many times I filed them, they kept creating ladders!!! But Helen was fine and we were all picked up and taken to the gardens which was to be the location for the ceremony in friends' cars.

It was a beautiful ceremony, the bride was radiant and the groom teary, the dress was stunning, the location picturesque... and it rained. It was cold and windy and I froze on the only rainy day out of a week of very fine weather! You'd think coming from Canberra I could have handled a mere 13 degrees C, but my toes turned blue and my hands white. I can't remember the last time I was so cold! However, this did not affect either Helen or Johan, and it really was lovely. They had a friend of the family sing and both Pat and Godrun (Johan's mother) read out poems to the couple. Then Helen and Johan read out their vows to each other, duly witnessed by a celebrant and we ended by singing Annie's song. It was all rather touching and very much them if you know what I mean.

The reception afterwards was just as good. The food was excellent, the speeches were some of the most heart-felt I'd ever heard, and the guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Helen, Kate (an Australian friend of the couple living in Sweden) and I even introduced the Nutbush to our Swedish colleagues. Not sure if that is actually a good thing upon reflection, but we had fun doing it anyway!

It was all lovely and I had a ball.... once I'd thawed out!

No comments: