Wednesday 13 June 2007

Edinburgh - First Impressions? Wet and Wonderful!

Wow - what a contrast to London! Edinburgh is, so far, a much colder, and older place. I'm sure that's not true, but I haven't seen very many new-looking buildings so far and everything I've seen looks to be pre 18th Century. The town is also much hillier than I expected. The walk up from the train station with a full pack nearly killed my thighs - I can see I'm going to get fit if I stay here. Very steep roads! London is pretty flat by comparison. And there a lots of cobblestone streets, so walking here is as fun as walking was in Poland... ie, unsteady.

It is currently raining and cold with a fierce wind - reminds me very much of Canberra in winter actually - isn't it supposed to be summer here? Oh but the Castle looks fantastic in this weather- it suits it's craggy exterior perfectly. It lords over the entire town, watching magnanimously over it's domain, looking stately and serene. I stood and stared at it for at least half and hour and fell in love yet again. It is just as a castle should be, sprawling and impenetrable - in a word, gorgeous.

The Scots are very friendly too - very helpful people as a general rule. But Geeze it's cold! The wind is icy! Am going to go and find my hostel & hopefully warm up. I didn't look at the weather forecast before leaving - kinda silly really. Hope I have enough warm things!

No comments: