Tuesday 20 October 2009

STONEHENGE!!!

Well, I didn't actually get up and personal with it but I saw it. I took loads and loads of pictures from over the fence and as we were driving past, so I have a record of the visit, but one day I'd like to actually go in and see it up close.

The reason I was there was that we had a meeting outside Salisbury and as it is a 3.5 hr drive from Plymouth to Salisbury, we stayed overnight in the town. Andy was kind enough to take me to see the famous rocks en route to our meeting. And so I saw Stonehenge. Very impressive.

Salisbury is a very atmospheric place actually. The place we stayed at was the Pembroke Arms, and out our window we could see Wilton House I believe, which is the main seat of the Earl of Pembroke. The hotel used to be part of the (very large) stables of the estate, and is very old too. The door to my room was not quite square having sunk on one side, and if I'd been two inches taller I'd have hit my head on it.

Some of the people from the Salisbury office came out and took us on a tour of the town so I got to see Salisbury Cathedral by night, which was very fine. I wish I'd been able to see it in daylight actually, it was quite beautiful. And then they took us on a ghost tour. :) The ghosts are not inimical - one plays the piano, another is a maid who tidies up, and there is a poltergeist who re-arranged the china displays in the windows. Quite interesting.

We then went for a drink in a pub called "The Haunch of Venison" where they have a glass case enclosing the remains of someone's hand - it was apparently cut off for stealing or something during the 16 or 1700's and then re-discovered when the pub was renovated. Nice.

We then toured some more - there are some amazing old buildings around the place, of Tudor age I think, sinking their way gracefully into decay - and finished the night in a second pub called the New Inn which had beams low enough that even I would hit my head if I wasn't careful - very cosy and very cool.

And very atmospheric. Lovely town Salisbury. And lovely Stonehenge.

No comments: