Thursday 20 August 2009

Word of the Day: Matelot

Pronounced Mat-lo, it's French for Sailor, and it's what they call the Navy boys around here. Used to specifically refer to a sailor on a merchantman, but has been hi-jacked to mean any person who walks on water these days.

If you hadn't already guessed, I'm working in the Plymouth Navy Yard, so during lunch time 'rambles' around the base (as is the custom here), I am invariably inducted into the history of the place. I can't for the life of me remember what we call Sailors in Aus - the army are the grunts or diggers and the air force are fly boys, but I never had much to do with naval personnel before. However, I am now forever hearing about what the matelots do around the place, and when I questioned the origin, I got a rather strange look. Why isn't a sailor a sailor? 'Cause he's a matelot of course! Right.

Anyway, I didn't have much luck finding too many definitions for the term that weren't in french, but I did find some rather interesting descriptions here and here. Have a read if you want to raise an eyebrow!

No comments: