Monday 9 July 2007

Window Shopping Overload

I have been working for four days now and am located quite close to the centre of things in London - a place called Soho. And there are plenty of 'things' to explore. But I am overwhelmed! I am surrounded by an embarrassment of Shopping Riches - I don't know where start looking! Where should I go first, which direction to head, how to encompass such a huge range of possibilities...? so I've done virtually none. I've walked up and down Oxford street a couple of times, but I haven't really explored Totenham Court Road and haven't even been down Charing Cross Road (the 7th heaven district for book shops new and old) and that for me is showing incredible restraint. There is just too much to look at!

Although I do feel like every day I'm becoming a better city dweller. I've taken to getting off the Tube a couple of stops short of work and walking the rest of the way - rain, hail or shine - just so I can get some fresh air of a morning (and wake up truth to tell) and also to help me wind down of an evening... Walking against the crowds on Oxford street - stalking really - striding along at a cracking pace whenever possible - dodging kids and cyclists and people left, right and centre. Impatient when I'm stopped for even a moment of time and annoyed by random intrusions into my intended path. It's fun! And to think that I said I'd never live in Sydney because there are too many people there.... Ah well, live and learn!

1 comment:

Jason B. Standing said...

It's amazing isn't it? And it's certainly harmful to one's credit limit.

I've found a slightly cool website (not sure if I've shown you before) is http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/ - you can wander london streets without leaving work!

(Of course this may be underwhelming to a person working in the mapping field...)