Sunday 29 July 2007

Pain: The High Cost of Living

I had an edifying experience yesterday. I got chucked out of my hostel. It was my own fault - I miscalculated the number of nights I'd paid for. But I was fast asleep when the guy came and said to the room at large, "Katrina? You're moving out today. I need your keys." Which he then proceeded to take from me, and then let me know I had half and hour to leave, and I couldn't think what to do. I just sat there for a good five minutes trying to process the fact that I had to go and I'd thought I had until Sunday to do so...

Once I had managed to wake up enough, I rang Richard in a panic, asked if I could stay the night there, had a five second shower, packed my bags, and ran. I think I set myself a record of the shortest time that I've ever been ready to roll with full gear.

Of course, since I had been planning to take my stuff in two trips to my new abode, I was, just slightly, overloaded, the consequence of which is that I am now in whole worlds of pain, and I'm not sure that my back or shoulders will forgive me anytime this century...I have just made myself a heat pack after unsuccessfully searching all over Camden for one this morning. But anyway, I had to laugh - the whole thing was so farcical. Just like me to forget that since I moved in on a Saturday, I'd have to leave on a Saturday. Idiot.

On the bright side, I had asked my new flatmate Jane if I could drop stuff off to the flat a day early (I wasn't supposed to move into the place until Saturday) and when I got there, she said I could stay the night instead of going back to R & H's, so I moved into my new place yesterday! I have a double bed!! And a room to myself!!! It is SOOO good to have my own space.

I am also quite happy to have been removed from the (insert multiple expletives here) hostel. Staying there definitly wasn't one of the highlights of my trip so far - the hostel in Edinburgh was much better. Ah well, chalk it up to experience and move on!

The cost of moving / living here is rather extortionate though. So far for my new abode I have bought: 1 vacuum cleaner (40 pounds), 1 microwave (30), 1 bookshelf (10), 2 new quilts - or as they are know here - duvets (30), 2 new pillows (12), 1 mattress protector (5), 2 new duvet covers with 2 fitted sheets and 4 pillowcases (45), and a bottle of gin (12). So, it has cost me over 170 pounds so far (~A$400), and yes, every purchase was required...well, the bookshelf probably wasn't, but it is tiny, holds all my gear and only cost 10 pounds! But the gin definitely was. I really needed something to celebrate having a new house with and gin and tonic hit the spot... I think my body wanted the quinine. :)

However, I did know this, London being one of the most expensive cities in the world and all... it's just that knowing something, and experiencing something are two totally different kettles of fish...(?) (If anyone knows where that expression comes from, please let me know)... My point is, I am now feeling the pain of a pinching purse. It hurts! I do hope I get paid next week as promised!

Three kinds of pain in less than three days: Emotional Embarrasment, Physical Agony and Financial Discomfort... This is Sore & Wishful, signing off.

No comments: