Monday 23 July 2007

Cardiff: A Washout.

This weekend I was supposed to go to Cardiff, Wales, with Brads… supposed to being the operative words. It didn’t happen due to excessive rain… Rain in London, who’da thunk? But no, this was even excessive by English standards and has caused widespread flooding right across the west of England – Flooding to a level which hasn’t been seen since 1947 or so I’m told.

Of course, I didn’t know this when I got to Paddington station; which had been a minor feat in it’s own right as the tube system hadn’t liked the rain either. I had just watched, along with everyone else, the sky turning black at midday and the downpour that ensued. Everyone in the office stopped what they were doing and stared actually. It is supposed to be summer. No-one seems to believe it. But I have never seen so much rain come down in such a short period. An hour later the sky was blue again. But as a result, the Circle line was totally suspended due to flooding, the District, Northern and Hammersmith lines were all partially suspended and the Jubilee and Metropolitan (my routes home) were experiencing sever delays. In fact the only running lines were the Victoria and Piccadilly, which are usually the recipients of ‘Severe Delays’ and ‘Passenger Action’, so their passengers must have been laughing!

But anyway, I got to Paddington, picked up the train tickets and then saw the notices (That was stupid Kat, really stupid! Next time look BEFORE you pick them up!!!) – all the train services to the west of the country had been suspended… no one was going anywhere in fact. There was limited or no service to all destinations from Paddington.

So, no Wales.

Brads & I went and saw Harry Potter 5 instead.

The next day – a very wet Saturday – we did get to the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew as a tourist-action like substitute, but it was still raining, and we had to catch a bus when the District line got totally suspended (from being only partially suspended) when we were halfway there. The gardens were lovely and relaxing and I did get a few pictures, but you’ll have to wait until I move out of the hostel to see them, as the gear I need to transfer them onto the web is still at R & H’s.

So, now I am just waiting until I hear about the house… please, please, please whoever is out there – please can I get the house? I really, really would like to have a home again.

No comments: