Monday 21 September 2009

Bristol Encounter

The weekend of the 18th of September saw me on a trip up to Bristol to catch up with the marvelous Marty, joining us from Oz for a blitz, and the generous Jason. Jason has a good friend there, the charming Charlie, who he has told me, on more than one occasion, I would like immensely. As usual, he was right! In fact the splendid fellow has already introduced me to new things, heading my war cry of 'Experiences, Not Acquisitions!' Charlie and her lovely housemate Clare made us feel very much at home on their hill, and even Clare's cat, Molly, joined me on my bed of an evening.

On arrival, we was introduced to a most excellent pub called The Cornubia, brewer of many fine beers, and then meandered into town for a very interesting meal at Zulu (a South African restaurant). I had Blesbok, of which animal I had never previously heard! Then we headed back to the Cornubia and the night got rather beer-tinged!

On the Saturday, after a rather luxurious lie-in and wonderful breakfast cooked by the excellent Charlie, we hoofed it up to Clifton to visit the White Lion bar for a tea on the terrace and a look at the famous suspension bridge. We then decided not to go to Camera Obscura, which was further up the hill, in favour of seeing the SS Great Britain, which was closed by the time we got there. Ah well, lots of chat and sights seen and fresh air had so all good!

I actually managed to come home almost rested from this trip, and as always it was lovely to catch up with the boys - who I miss dearly - and to make new friends. A GTHBA weekend methinks!

No comments: