Monday 29 June 2009

Michael Palin at the O2

On the 26th, saw Michael Palin at the Indigo O2 centre: 20 years of travelling, 40 years of jokes. I went with Jason & London Dave. It was fascinating. I’ve never been to the O2, let alone the Indigo but yet again, I forgot to take my camera, so no pictures.

The night was interesting and entertaining but also slightly uncomfortable and I had a restricted view of the stage, so it was a 70% night, not 100%.

It was a charity event supporting victims of torture and was introduced but a famous Indian guy who sported a very long-haired look and who gave us a rather chilling insight into the torture victims lives. Then Palin spent the first half of the night on happy snaps of his many world tours, all fascinating, and then the second half on stories of Monty Python.

But the evening started almost ¾ hr late due to the length of time it took to get everyone in. and they pretty much oversold the venue as where I was sitting ¼ of the screen was obscured by speakers, and many people weren’t as lucky, missing up to ¾ of the action. The second half was really just a history lesson on Python with amusing stories thrown in, but he did do some very funny readings, and had us in stitches with some anecdotes. … but I kind of wanted something more.

Michal Jackson also died, but to talk about it would only encourage the megalomania. His best hits were in the 80s and he should have stopped there I think. Although the man was a music legend, his personal life was not worthy so enough said.

So, yeah. A strange night.

1 comment:

Jason B. Standing said...

I'd put the "left wanting more" feeling down to it being in that godawful anonymous corporate room. If it'd been in a nice community cinema or hall or something I reckon it would've had just the right character.