Tuesday 16 June 2009

A Little Night Music

I really liked this production. I went with Hannah, Paul and Jason. Desiree was absolutely fabulous. I love Sondheim, and ALNM is my second favourite next to Into the Woods. God, the tunes!!! I enjoyed it immensely. The sets were good, I loved how the swingers were part of the set moving and always interesting, and the costumes were fabulous.

This is the first time I’ve seen it live too. I’ve seen the film version and I know the music so well I didn’t think there would be much surprise in it for me, but it still managed to catch me. I had no idea the maid and major domo had a fling for one thing – which is why “And I Shall Marry…” is included. I always wondered where that came from. And I didn’t know that the old lady dies in the end either. Hannah cried.

The only thing I didn’t like was the Brigadier. He came off as silly and nonthreatening and unworthy, rather than the rather stupid but physically impressive and therefore actual potential rival for Desiree shown in the movie and in the music I’ve heard.

The countess was brilliant though, and so was the new wife and Frederick was great, so, yes, a fabulous production.

1 comment:

Jason B. Standing said...

I wouldn't be doing my job as a stalker/fan if I didn't point out that Desiree was played by the amazing & incomparable Hannah Waddingham.

Really top production there from Menier Chocolate Factory, again. The only shame as far as I could tell was that it had to be a limited season. Why do they endlessly fill theatres with shit like Mamma Mia and The Lion King when there's amazing productions & ensembles like this??