Saturday 22 March 2008

Eastercon

Planned Easter Activity: My first sci-fi convention ever – Eastercon 2008 aka Orbital, at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel at Heathrow.

Eastercon is a lit con as opposed to a media con. The difference? Lit, or Literature Conventions are generally standard conventions, where a program of events is set out and people come along and listen to pre-arranged talks on topics of interest and take part in panel discussions on same. The focus is generally on books and the invited guests are authors at a lit con. A Media Convention is one where you’ll get everyone dressed up as their favourite TV character and the focus is on the visual media so the guests are usually actors. Eastercon therefore had no darleks, no holograms, no storm-troopers and definitely no Klingons, just some lovely ladies in elaborate psudo-historical dresses and ornate make-up accompanied by men in elegant top-hats and tales with lacy cravats.

I was intending on spending most of the Easter weekend at the convention. It boasted one of my favourite authors as one of the guests of honour (Neil Gaiman), and I could have spent hours listening to him alone, but unfortunately Friday heralded the advent of a cold that has had me shaking and shivering and generally feeling much more than miserable all day. So the con got all but cancelled for me. I did go down there for a couple of hours, gingerly made my way around, lamented may lack of money and packing space 'cause there was a really good book selection on sale, was awed by the imagination of some of the artists who's paintings and drawings were on display, and amazed at some of the costumes people were wearing and the time and effort that must have gone into creating such elaborate get-ups. But then I had to go back home and curl up in bed.

I have every intention of attending next year and hopefully finding some more lit cons to go to, as I'd really like to know more about the community. Next time I’d even like to get to one of the presentations :S. I’d pre-paid for the weekend too. Mind you I didn't at all object to spending the money. The convention is run by volunteers and I’m always happy to support my favourite non-profit organisations.

So, interesting and I want more!

No comments: